Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Moral Support

You can never have enough support.

I worked very hard for a very long time to create 'Genome'. I had lots of starts and stops. I lost and regained my confidence many times. I had many moments of anguish over nothing. All though this I had the moral support of friends and family, especially my wife Debbie and my daughter Amber. Towards the end I gained a surprise friend and supporter in Rocky Angelucci, a budding author himself. I'll post more about his book when he publishes, which should be very soon.

I didn't work with a writers group, though I could have, there are several in the area including one I worked with a few years ago. I wish that I had made more of an effort to meet and work with them again during this process. It was all my fault not theirs.

If you have a writers group in your area, go to a meeting, introduce yourself and PARTICIPATE! Bring in snippets and pass 'em around. Ask for readings. Ask for help. Ask if anyone has similar tastes and projects. Do readings for them. Encourage them and be a sounding board for their work no matter what stage it's in, even if it's not your cup of tea.

I'm not into supernatural romance novels. I didn't even know they existed to be truthful. But I was contacted by S. C. Mitchell (check out his blog 'A Writer's Haven' ) after he read one of my blog posts. We found out we have similar backgrounds but he writes for a different audience. So I bought one of his ebooks ( There's no such thing as Werewolves ) to see for myself. I like Steve's writing style and how he drew me immediately into his characters lives. I like other things about this book but I'm doing a review so you can read that later.

The point is that I pushed myself into a new area and found another support system. Steve and I correspond now and he's even doing an interview with me. I hope Steve and I keep trading ideas and between us I'm sure we'll both benefit. We each sought out support, stepping tentatively out into the dark, outside our comfort zones. It's paying off.

I'll let you know as I find more ways to help you. Stay turned and keep writing!