Thursday, April 19, 2012

Writing a quick story

We interrupt this blog to make it more interesting. I've got lots more to say about writing Genome but I need to do some writing this week or I'll go nuts. So you might as well follow along.

I've got an idea for a series of novelettes that should be a lot of fun. I want to outline them, write the first book and get it out there. The more you write the better you get, it's that simple. At least that's what everyone says.

Onward into the dark my friends!

The basic series premise so far involves Jake, a recent retiree (hmm foreshadowing? '-) and his pet lizard, Arlo. Finally easing into his golden years in Port Aransas, Texas, his life takes a definite twist when they are 'conscripted' by a passing space frigate. Jake and Arlo begin their adventures in the Mekalon Space Fleet.

Yes it's cheesy. Frigates in space. Conscripted 'sailors'. Arlo suddenly gains conciousness. And of course the Captain is a beautiful humanoid privateer. Who saw that coming?

I'll post more as the first book fleshes out. Time to write. Hard to port, me buckoos!

Keep writing!