Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Time management is a myth

My writing time management routine is:
  • try to write in the morning and/or in the evening
  • try to use twitter to find more people to talk to about ePub writing
  • try to post on this blog in the morning and/or in evening
  • try to find and view other writer blogs
  • try to write down ideas for other stories and NOT start on them
I know, I know. I'm supposed to set the same time aside everyday. Set a routine and stick with it. Dedicate XX hours to writing everyday and do nothing else. Find a quiet place with no distractions and focus on my writing. Contemplate my writing navel and softly utter 'Om, my bum is numb' to center myself. Nuts to that stuff.

I don't have a problem wanting to write everyday. I have a problem staying away from the keyboard. I have a problem drifting off on a cool new tangent or outlining another story idea.

I certainly have problems with plot or 'arc' or character development. But not wanting to write has not been a problem. Yet. Knock on Formica.

So I don't get the 'plan your day' pundits. 'Time management is the answer to your writing problems.' Really? Writing is not a science, it's an art. It's not balancing a ledger or checkbook. It's letting yourself have fun creating a story in your head and then writing it down. Then having fun realizing it stinks so you get to rewrite it. Writing is saying 'what if' and then having the confidence to mold the answer into a story line.

Relax. Write. Enjoy. There is only now.