Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Blogs and Tweets and Followers, Oh My!

The new guy IS trainable but... I'm amazed by the huge time sink all the social media stuff can be. I'm making some great friends and contacts but dang, I need time to write sometime! I know, I know, patience Grasshopper. Trust me, I'm really trying.

The TwitterSphere (@garyalanhenson is you wanna chirp at me) feels like there are a billion people all out on their balconies shouting at the top of their lungs, "Hi, I'm a writer/artist/professional/stripper/scientist(yep, lots of them nerdy dudes and dudettes)/cool dude-dudette/media professional who can make you rich is you just buy my 'How To' book, (-saying something clever here-). Please RT."

So I'm taking my time finding and 'Following' people. Looking for people that are interested in ePub writing or maybe someone who might be interested in my writing genre. I've even been able to gift 'Genome' to a few artificial intelligence and genetics researchers who I tweeted, "Hi, I'm a new writer. Are you interested in reading a novel that includes a sexy AI character?" Hm. OK, I'm one of the billion. ;-) Haven't heard back from them but I'm hoping they enjoy it and will pass the word.

OK, actually I'm having fun meeting lots of new people and by far most are interesting and polite. That is a refreshing surprise for me. Thank you TwitterSphere!

This blog is slowly gaining momentum as well. I need to up my game a little and get back to three blogs a week. I really enjoy writing these little snippets and passing along what I've learned from others.

As an example I found Jim Butcher's 'Jim's Livejournal' (Jim Butcher's journal) through another blogger. Thank you! Mr. Butcher is one of my writing heroes. Love his books, his style and he seems like a genuinely cool guy. And I love the image of a wisecracking Wizard in a trench coat. Wish I'd have thought of that!

On the writing front, I've finished the first draft of 'Arlo and Jake Enlist' and I'm doing the rewrite/rewrite/rewrite phase. And I'm looking for a good cover graphic. I'm still hoping to have Book One out by the end of the month. Wish me luck!

Keep writing and keep the faith!