Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Reality check??

I had a couple of friends finish reading 'Genome' recently. I asked for an honest review and got it from both. I can't thank them enough as this kind of feedback is essential for me. I need the truth or I'll never get better.

The good news is they liked 'Genome'. Whoo Hoo! I'm on cloud nine here. They rated it a four because it was my first book. I would have got a 3.5 otherwise. That's ok with me, I would have been bummed if they gave it a 2 or a 5. A 2 meant it really was below my expectations. A 5 would mean they were probably just being nice to me though I have a 5 already. I'll take it ;-)

I also asked them what price they thought was appropriate for Genome as an epub book. Both said they thought 2.99 was the right price. Again, I really appreciate their honesty.

And I have to agree with them. My original gut feeling was 2.99. I raised the price to 4.99 as an experiment. BTW, I had no sales at 4.99 but I only tried it for one month.

So. I've lowered 'Genome' back to 2.99 and I'm going to leave it there. I'm getting it ready for Createspace as a paperback with a new cover. I have to figure out the 'right' price there as well. Marketing makes my head hurt.

Now I have to finish up 'Genome' marketing by getting it on Createspace and keep tweeting and promoting it.

In the wings I have 'Arlo and Jake Enlist' ready to edit and release. I need a good cover and I'm going to put it out there for 0.99. It's only about 50 pages.

Anyone else have experience making the right choices for your books?

Be cool, be yourself.