Monday, August 27, 2012

I miss you Neil Armstrong.

I watched all of the Apollo missions as a young boy, riveted to the TV, including all the moon missions. My dreams of being an astronaut continued until my mid twenties when I was a Navy submariner.

I built and launched Estes rockets high into the Texas panhandle skies. I made rocket models of plastic and balsa. I drew pages and pages of space flight missions to the moon and all the other planets. Because I just KNEW we would continue the space program and I was going to be there.

I joined the NASA civilian program for Space Shuttle technicians while still in the Navy. It didn't happen for me but it was wonderful to get those newsletters. It made me feel like a part of something incredible.

Watching the tributes to Mr. Armstrong are bringing back long lost feelings and memories. I hope and pray that we bring back those programs and others to fuel this generations hunger for exploration.

Men and women like Mr. Armstrong fueled our imaginations then and now.

I miss you Neil.