Monday, November 19, 2012

Another short story, one more step...

I take small steps in almost everything I do. I'd like to take bigger steps sometimes, but that's not the way it works for me;-)

In writing, I've found that doing short stories is sharpening my focus on plot. That may be an obvious outcome to you, but it wasn't for me. As I've said before, I like the outline approach, but I don't always follow through. I tend to let the Muse guide me sometimes. Most of the time she takes me into the weeds for a while. She's got a wicked sense of humor, that lady.

I just finished another short story. This time for a Christmas compilation by Vanessa Wester and a short story group of friends in the UK. We did a compilation for Halloween that did pretty good considering we self-promoted it.

Both stories tested my abilities to focus on a full story in less than 4000 words. That whole 'play in three acts' went out the window. Instead it was more about creating an initial interesting paragraph to hook and carry the the reader along. At least that's how I approached it. I'm sure I'll learn other/better ways, but that's my story right now.

I'd recommend this practice for all my new author Buckaroos. I'll let you know when the Chrismas book comes out.

Have a great Thanksgiving, my friends. Be good to yourself and to your friends.