Friday, August 30, 2013

Between novels...

I'm about half way through a short story I hope to sell to Analog or Asimov or ??

I decided that I needed to keep stretching and practicing my writing, rather than wait for 'Arlo and Jake Galactic Boot Camp' to finish being edited.

My theory is that I should always have a goal in front of me, something to work on and keep me striving to be a better writer. It's a theory. My life is full of theories, some tested, some proven and some forgotten. ;-)

So I picked up a plot line from the list of plot lines I keep around and started to brain storm a little. I'm liking what I have so far AND I'm getting to test the magazine short story waters. I've never published in a SciFi/Fantasy magazine.

The story is about an event that involves the entire human race and a decision that each human must make for themselves; literally a life or death decision.

It's a compelling, thought provoking story with just a little humor to keep it readable. I can't seem to write dark, hard core SciFi, I'm always adding a little humor to break up the tension. People write as they see life, and mine needs humor!

I'll update more on how it goes. I hope to have the story done this weekend and then submit to one of the magazines.

Wish me luck!