Monday, July 21, 2014

Am I a serious writer now???

I splurged on a notebook computer to do my writing. I wanted to be able to write in the park areas where I work, at the local burger joints, in the break rooms, wherever. And I wanted a large touch screen system to write and test mobile games.

So I splurged and bought an ASUS X200M at Best Buy. When I bought it, it was on sale for $279! So far I love it; it's perfect for writing and learning all about touch screens and 8.1. It's small enough ( 12" X 8") to carry around in a soft case.

So now I have no excuses for not writing, anytime of day. For about a month, I've been taking it to a local burger joint, grabbing a salad and plinking away for 45 minutes. I've been very pleased with how much work I can get done in 45 minutes, when there are no other distractions.

I'm up to 27,000 words in book #3 of Arlo and Jake, and I've almost finished a short story/novelette that has been bugging me for months. I don't normally split my time between stories, but the characters in this one kept barging into my stream of consciousness, so I decided to breath life into them. Hopefully, they will leave me alone when I wrap up the story. ;-)

It's interesting to use both the keyboard and the touch screen to write. I find myself scanning up and down with a swipe to find that last passage or character name that I've already forgotten. Otherwise, I use the keyboard and built in mouse as always.

Anyone else out there use a notebook or laptop to write?

Let me know how it's going for you.

I am very interested to know if anyone is using 'cloud services' to keep their manuscripts. I'm 'this close' to trying it, I'm just paranoid I'll lose something in the ether. ;-)

Be cool
Keep writing!