Thursday, September 3, 2015

Writing for fame, fortune or fun...

Talking to friends during a recent vacation to Colorado brought this subject up again. 'Why do you write if you're not a professional writer?"

It takes a ton of time to outline, to research, to push a story forward. You're constantly going back and rewriting, fretting about a sentence or just dumping whole chapters because they're not right.

I could be playing video games, watching movies, reading or playing my guitar. Why spend so much karma on something that won't even break even in the long run.

It's hard to explain, actually. It's not logical, it's emotional. It's not concrete, it's mostly abstract. Once you release your imagination, you don't want to restrain it anymore. Writing gives your imagination an infinite number of Universes in which to roam. Free and wild. The wind in it's hair and the throttle open wide!

So basically it's fun. Right? You bet it is.

No one tells you how to write. These are your heroes and heroines in trouble. Your vicious villains and do-badders.  Your back water mining camps or Space Cowboy shoot outs. You can make the plot funny, dramatic, serious, outrageous (my favorite), mellow, chaotic... whatever you damn well want.

And the more you practice, the better you get. Honest. I'm nowhere near where I want to be but I'm getting better with every book.

For me, so far, it's just for fun. I cannot describe the feeling of reading a cool passage I just wrote. Launching a book is awesome, trust me. The journey to get it launched is billion times more fun.

You got an itch to write. Scratch it, people! Dive in feet first and enjoy it!

Go. Write!

No comments:

Post a Comment