Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Writing and other stuff...

 I'm knee deep in 'fleshing out' the chapters of my latest novel, tentively called 'Pete's Rocket'.

Once again I'm adding a chapter and then writing a quick synopsis of what might happen in this chapter.

It's working well. I'm creating the 'arcs' of the story as I flesh out this chapters from beginning to end.

Looking at the work so far, this method has made it obvious that I need more characters, interaction, background, etc.

I just added a girlfriend for Peter, my main character. He needed more emotional envolvement to explain some of the issues he is going through He has a best friend, Brett, about the same age as Peter who lives close by and shares his excitement for model rocketry.

The setting so far is in my hometown of Levelland Texas, which sits in the middle of cotton fields and dust just west of Lubbock. And I do mean dust.

The environment and atmosphere atmosphere for this story comes directly out of my childhood memories. I was born there in '52 and spent most of my childhood there. My family moved to Boulder, Colorado when I was 14. 

I remember it being hot. Hot and dusty. Hot, dusty and dry.

The most fun I remember having as boy was stripping down to just my skivies and cut-off jeans and then running back and forth through the backyard lawn sprinkler until I dropped. By the end of summer I was brown as a walnut. 

If you don't know what Estes Rockets are, then you are missing some awsome fun, both for kids and yourself. Look 'em up and consider getting a starter kits. Lots of fun and educational as well.

Have a great week, my fiends. Never miss an opportunity to make someone smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment