Monday, October 21, 2013

It's almost here.... yes!

After a bazillion rewrites, corrections, agonizing over how much to say or how much not to say in this paragraph or that sentence; it's done!

I've uploaded the manuscript and started the publishing process. All I have left is the cover and that will be done this week! Whoo Hooo!

It took months longer than I thought it would. Good grief, how could I have underestimated so badly? See if you can learn from my mistakes:
1. Enthusiasm. I really enjoyed writing this book, it made me feel like I could do anything. I can't. I can do what I can do, I'm not Superman. Nuts.
2. Rigidity. At first I stuck to the outline I created. That was OK up to a point, but it kept me from trying alternatives, new characters, new paths. Once I tossed the idea of using the outline verbatim I had fun again.
3. Professional pride. I just had to make this book better than the last one. I spent way too much time trying to be someone I'm not yet; a professional writer. This book is a step above book one. That's enough. I'll take what I learned here and the next one will be better still.
4. Life. Full time job. Family responsibilities. Friends who want to play cards. Yard work. Car repairs. A whole day on the porch just snoozing. Ahh. Life is more than writing. Sorry you had to hear that but for me, it's true. Life is for living. Writing makes life more meaningful but it's not all there is.

So. Get the cover done. Finish the publishing steps for Nook, Kindle and on Createspace for the paperback copy.

Remember to have fun. I'm going to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment