I just passed 15,000 words on book 3 of my 'Arlo and Jake' SciFi series. Whoo Hoo!
I've been pushing myself nights to move this story forward. I really want to get book 3 published this month! But it's been a real struggle some nights.
Part of the problem is that I want this book to be better than the first two. I want a really satisfying, interesting plot, better dialog, more laughs and guffaws but with a great adventure story. Not too much to ask, is it? ;-)
The first book was short, meant to be an novelette to introduction the series and give readers a taste of what's to come.
Book two brought in some more characters, including a nasty antagonist with his own back story. Taash and the D'bak bring some evil interest into the story line.
In book three, I want to explore and enhance everything in this series!
Therein lies the rub! ;-) I've been pulling what little hair I have left going over and over the story and dialog, trying a plot twist here and a pun there. It's been a real challenge.
But this weekend I used the old backup trick that's got me past this 'problem' before. I read, re-read and re-read the story, out loud, from the beginning to the end, over and over. Each time I found the little glitches and fixed them. Until I made it all the way through without any major hiccups. I still have little places to improve but I just marked them with 'XXX need this there' comments and moved on.
It feels great! Now on to the mid-point of the story! Yaaahhhhhhh.....!